And heres why:
after you learn vim, you will be less pressing ALT, CMD, CTRL, HOME.
you can achieve so many things with less keystrokes
vim also can record your commands with macros, so be sure to check it out below.
I'll be sharing few highlights from both of the video above that I feel its very handy. Hence, if you just started to learn how to use vim, please watch both of the video first as my examples below is suitable to someone already familiar with basics(Visual, Editing, Deleting, and Navigating).
However, I'll try to make this interactive as much as possible, so that anyone could get start easily. Since both of the video is quite long, I have 1 little tip on how to learn faster on my previous article.
- First, I've been editing this article for quite long with nested bullet points, and it doesn't really work. The numbering, indentation and some other stuff not properly align. Hence, I'll be using gist since it works fine. Also average reading will be around ~10min instead of 2min.
- All the char is case-sensitive, and please excuse me if I'm using incorrect term/syntax 😅.
- Please note that on below example I'll be using a lot of
<cursor here>to indicate you need to move your cursor somewhere around there.
- If you see
<enter>it means you have to press enter. Same goes to
- Plus, if you see a formatting like this q, it means press the 'q' key in keyboard.
- Lastly, I'm using this awesome repo for my vim config.
If you prefer to read in github gist, you can click this link. https://gist.github.com/AzrizHaziq/adcfdbf12c3b30b6523495e19f282b58#file-vim-md
gist https://gist.github.com/AzrizHaziq/adcfdbf12c3b30b6523495e19f282b58 file=vim.md
- Now that you have learn few things here, why not give it a try first? You might have same hobbies like mine (search above 🤣).
- Please, don't try to remember all the keys, since vim already have a good mnemonics.
- However, there is a lot of things that I didn't mention in both of the videos. Hence, I strongly suggest you to watch it. - I hope my example is easy to understand. Let me know if the example is not clear enough for you/typos or anything in comment. Thank you for reading.